Monday, February 13, 2012

Okay, so if you love canned baby food this post is NOT for you! I know I'm ranting here but I think that Gerber's and ALL baby food for that matter is the BIGGEST rip off known to man. Each jar of food costs $1.03 (Target) which is INSANE considering how much food babies/toddlers eat. I refuse to pay it and happily make all my own food. And before you think that I'm "one of those moms" don't be fooled. I love convenience in every other way. Cloth diapers? Kill me!! But, I can buy a bag of mixed veggies for like a $1.29 and do you know how much baby food that makes? Approximately 5-6 jars!! One sweet potato or yam? Yeah, that makes 3 jars of baby food. One $49 cent jar of green beans makes 2.5 jars of food. You get the drift. So now you understand why I would NEVER EVER buy that stuff. I think one has to be really rich or really lazy not to be able to open a can of vegetables and mix it in a blender for 30 seconds to save about $3.00. I always thought I'd buy Gerber and all that baby stuff, but I'm quickly realizing how much money you can waste if you're not careful. Besides, making your own food is SO MUCH HEALTHIER for the babies. Food shouldn't have that long of a shelf-life! Join me in banning Gerber's from your cuppard. Sorry again for the lame post, but who else has realized how stupidly expensive that stuff is?

4 comments:

The Mo You Know said...

I, Maureen Keelin, do hereby proclaim that I will NOT put any Gerber baby food in my cupboards!

Does it matter that I currently live with my parents therefore I have no cupboards to call my own? Or that I don't have any kids?

brooke field said...

i agree! obviously i have no baby experience myself, but i hope to be a diy type, blending food -- and hopefully cloth diapers too. i'll decide when i get there :)

The Romney Family said...

Why do I seem to remember having mutiple conversations with you on this very subject before Sebastian came along and you calling me "one of THOSE moms" because I was a homemade baby food proponent??? Weird, that can't be right--I MUST be mixing you up with someone else. ha In any case, I say AMEN to this post. It is practically highway robbery and I won't stand for it. Down with Gerber! (Well, just their crappy canned baby food--I love their toddler snacks! Especially those scrumptious letter cookies. I mean, KATE loves them...not me... What???)

Melissa said...

I love Gerber baby food. When you have four boys all close together, I have A LOT more important things to do than to make my own baby food. The trick is to just buy it on sale. I made Adam's food, my first, but I am PROUD to say that all of Damon's baby food will be happily bought in little plastic tubs and glass jars. More Gerber=more hugs and kisses to Damon. Sometimes convenience is worth the price tag.