Tuesday, January 25, 2011

What's in a name?

Oh the joys of naming a baby.
Stressful.
Well, it's not really necessarily stressful for us but for the people (**cough cough GRANDPARENTS, SIBLINGS, etc.) who dont seem to approve of name choices we love. I always say "too bad, you had your change to use the names you liked. It's our turn now." So for all you who read our blog and hate the names we're about to share, either lie and say you love them or keep your two cents to yourself. We don't care whether you hate it or not, that won't change our minds. Once again, our baby our choice. That being said, here's some of the top contenders.

Number 1 by a LONG shot is SEBASTIAN Gene (after David's gpa) Rogers
Second, EDMOND (don't have any middle names we like yet) Rogers
Third, David Linas Rogers III

Since David is a Jr., we're still trying to decide if we should carry on the name especially since the baby is due on his birthday. I'm not into naming first names after anyone we know or are related too, but if David really cares, I would be willing to let him do it. Right now he's so stuck on Sebastian that he says he doesn't want a third but it might be a different story when the cutie is born ON HIS BIRTHDAY and looks EXACTLY like him. I'm a little fearful, I'm not gonna lie. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the name David but when we go to his house and visit his family, I'm less thrilled that he has the same name as his father when I call out David and both answer. Not sure I wanna deal with that for the rest of my life. And I HATE nicknames derived from a shortened version of a child's name. Little Davey is NOT an option so don't even think about it!!
Do NOT atttempt to shorten our kids' names or you will not be allowed to see them. You have been warned. That's the main reason I love Sebastian so much because you can't really shorten it. Seb sounds awful and Ian's not close enough to the actual name that I don't think people (besides my mom) will think to shorten it to that.
Edmond could be shortened to Ed or Eddie (which is dangerous) so I doubt we'll use it. I think I overthink these things too much, but I am NOT one of those people who name their child one name and call them another. I want to name my child something I love and chose for them and then stick to it. And I want them to have special nicknames that have nothing to do with their given name. Clever nicknames are where it's at! Just ask my brother Ryan and his crazy names he comes up with for the kids.
Anyhow, sorry for the information name overload. On another thought, who else thinks it HILARIOUS that Melissa is having another boy? I'm not gonna lie, I laughed. ;)
Anyhow, that's where we're at right now as far as names go for our baby bunting.

4 comments:

Lindsey said...

Oh, I thought you were set on David. I was misinformed.

How fun. I actually think Sebastian is kind of cute. I doubt Nathan will, but I will tell him to keep it to himself :)

Oh, and I must admit I did laugh when I got Melissa's text that she was having a boy...and then almost immediately felt sorry for her. She might need to adopt to get a girl :)

Melissa said...

Thanks a lot!

brooke field said...

I loved this post! I totally agree with you on keeping others opinions to themselves! I have already decided we will not tell anyone our (future) baby name ideas until he baby is born. And I also hate when people shorten cool names. Like when people call Garrison "Gary," I hate it. Gary is not his name :) Anyways, just glad someone shares their strong feelings on the subject. Good luck making your final choice! But whichever one feels right to both of you is the one you should choose.

The Romney Family said...

Yah, what's up with those lame people who name their baby one thing and call them something else? Ew, wait--that's me, you big jerk. Just for that, I'm calling him Bastian. Ha ha You can't stop me. And you can't keep Auntie Amy from seeing the little guy. So you LOSE. Suck it, Cpig.

P.S. I accidentally shrunk the fabric in the wash, so there's only enough for one sling now. Guess I should probably get it.